At HomeTown Credit Union, we know how important it is to shape our youngest members into financially responsible adults.
We’re committed to educating our youth in many different ways—from offering youth accounts that help teach real-life money management skills to scholarships and Student Loans to help fulfill education goals; there is truly something for all our student members here.
Every year, HomeTown Credit Union offers our wonderful student members the chance at earning scholarships to help them in their future education goals. See below for what is currently available.
HomeTown Credit Union Yearly Scholarships
To highlight our continued committment to our core value of education, HomeTown is excited to again offer scholarships directly to student members through our financial wellness department.
This year we are offering:
- Two $1,000 scholarships
- Two $500 scholarships
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be in good standing at HomeTown Credit Union for at least 6 months prior to application*
- Be a graduating high school senior pursuing post high school education for the upcoming school year
- Plan to attend a private or public college, university, community college, or technical college accredited by the U.S. Department of Education
To apply, applicants are asked to fill out the below application form and create a 1-3 minute video that shares one or more ways that people can establish and/or maintain financial wellness after high school.
HomeTown Scholarship Application
Minnesota Credit Union Foundation Scholarships
The 2023 scholarship period has ended. Please check back in the fall of 2024 for an updated application.
Each year, the Minnesota Credit Union Foundation program awards $1,000 scholarships to eligible credit union members across the state. HomeTown is a Minnesota Credit Union Network affiliate and therefore all of our qualifying members are eligible to apply.
To be eligible, applicants must be either:
- traditional: current high school or PSEO student graduating in 2024
- non-traditional: post high school student, current college student or those returning to post-secondary after some time off.
Education can be a door to your future — Let us help you open it.
Everyone knows that higher education can be a door to future endeavors, but let's face it, the cost of a college degree is daunting. From tuition, textbooks, food, and housing, the dollars add up!
HomeTown is here to help with our Private Student Loans. Easily apply online and you'll be on your way to covering all qualified educational expenses. Whether the loan is paying for your whole tuition or the gap between your federal financial aid, HomeTown's Private Student Loans can help you be successful.
Private Student Loan Program
HomeTown offers Private Student Loans through our partnership with cuStudentLoans, a credit union managed network.
With Private Student Loans, you get:
- Coverage for all qualified educational expenses at competitive interest rates, and with good grades, potentially lower rates
- A fast online application with no origination fee
- Borrow what you need and manage your account entirely online
Learn More About Student Loans and Apply
Private Student Loan Consolidation
Consolidate and refinance one or multiple student loans into one—with a potentially lower interest rate.
- Simplify your payments into one monthly payment
- Consolidate federal and private student loans
- Competitive rates with extended repayment term
- Cosigner release available after 12 on-time principal and interest payments
- Interest-only payment options available
Learn More About Student Loan Consolidation and Apply
HomeTown’s here to help you get them started off on the right financial foot.
We know how important it is to teach our youth the value of saving a dollar—and our youth accounts are designed for just that.
A kid’s account that makes money fun! Kirby will show your kids saving tips and what it means to be responsible with money.
- Perfect for kids 11 years or younger
- Price incentives for every $25 saved
- Birthday letter
- Kirby activities like printables, jokes and more
Steps Accounts for Teens
When it’s time to grow out of the kid’s stuff, Steps Accounts is what’s next. This account introduces your teen to basic money management and teaches financial responsibility.
- 6 month no-minimum Share Certificate
- Cinch up Your Savings Share Certificate
- Access Money Market Savings
- Free Checking Account
- Debit Card
Credit Builder Loans
Credit Builder Loans are the perfect way to introduce financial responsibility through a loan payment. These loans are great ways to save up for a new phone, computer or even a down payment on a car.
- No cosigner required
- Borrow any amount from $500 to $3000
- 12 month repayment term
- Proceeds are frozen in a savings account and available to be accessed once the loan is paid in full
For more information on Youth Accounts, visit any branch to speak with a Credit Union Representative.