HomeTown Credit Union is a proud partner with Owatonna High School. In September 2011, we opened a Student-Run Branch inside of OHS. The purpose of the student-run branch is to:
- Encourage all students to save
- Serve as a model for financial responsibility for OHS students
- Provide employment and mentorship opportunities
- Offer a working partnership with teachers to collaborate and provide curriculum enhancement.
This Student-Run branch is the first of its kind in Minnesota. Each school day this location is open over lunches to serve students, administration and staff. In addition, HomeTown Credit Union student employees are available along with other HomeTown staff to present in classes on a variety of financial topics.
In the 2015-2016 school year, HomeTown Credit Union representatives have supported this partnership by:
- Presenting in classrooms on various topics including:
- Financial aid and student loans
- Maintaining a budget
- How to use a savings account
- How to use a checking account
- How to build and maintain good credit
- Fraud, scams and identity theft
- Investing and planning for the future
- Employment application and interview skills
- Careers in finance
- Serving as S.T.R.I.V.E. Mentors. S.T.R.I.V.E. stands for students taking a renewed interest in the value of education. This program is sponsored by the Owatonna Rotary program, and it focuses on helping students set goals to improve and be successful in the future. The S.T.R.I.V.E. program also offers scholarships to students. Funds raised from the annual August S.T.R.I.V.E. run support these scholarships. HomeTown Credit Union is also a proud sponsor of the S.T.R.I.V.E. run.
- Serving as Junior Achievement Volunteers. Junior Achievement aims to prepare students to succeed in school and beyond by teaching them about the impact that they can have in the world around them.
- Assisting the DECA program with judging sales demonstrations. DECA focuses on teaching students to be academically prepared, community oriented, professionally responsible and experienced leaders while centering on the themes of marketing, finance, hospitality and management.